Click Here to Read Brady's Story
Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Just thought that this was an interesting peice on Harry Angelman,the man who first discovered Angelman Syndrome. Enjoy!

"Biography:Harry Angelman graduated in medicine from the University of Liverpool in 1938. He served with the Royal Army Medical Corps during World War II and spent some time with the military in India before he returned to civilian life in 1946. In 1950 he was appointed as consultant paediatrician at Warrington General Hospital, Lancashire. Angelman retired in 1976.Harry Angelman relates the following regarding his discovery of this syndrome:"The history of medicine is full of interesting stories about the discovery of illnesses. The saga of Angelman's Syndrome is one such story. It was purely by chance that nearly thirty years ago three handicapped children were admitted at various times to my children's ward in England. They had a variety of disabilities and although at first sight they seemed to be suffering from different conditions I felt that there was a common cause for their illness. The diagnosis was purely a clinical one because in spite of technical investigations, which today are more refined, I was unable to establish scientific proof that the three children all had the same handicap. In view of this I hesitated to write about them in the medical journals. However, when on holiday in Italy 1 happened to see an oil painting in the Castelvecchio museum in Verona called Boy with a Puppet. The boy's laughing face and the fact that my patients exhibited jerky movements gave me the idea of writing an article about the three children with a title of Puppet Children. It was not a name that pleased all parents but it served as a means of combining the three little patients into a single group. Later the name was changed to Angelman syndrome. This article was published in 1965 and after some initial interest lay almost forgotten until the early eighties." Personal correspondence, 1991"

posted by angelwings @ 8:58 PM
   0 comments
0 Comments:
 
Home        Post        Edit        Post a Comment
 


What is Angelman Syndrome?

                 

About Brady

Read Brady's Story Here   

I am 11yrs old and I have Angelman Syndrome. I may have this syndrome, but I dont let it hold me back. I love life and live it to the fullest every single day. My mom says that our research organization, Foundation for Angelman Syndrome Therapeutics, is working really hard on a treatment or even a cure for me and my friends. I am thankful to have 25 words but I look forward to the day that I can carry on long conversations and talk so much that everybody has to ask me to please be quiet for a few minutes :) Anyway, mom says Im awesome and super funny and I have to agree,lol.

See my complete profile

Home      Post        Edit

Well we just got back from meeting with Brady's sc...
 
  Well,were finally back!! We headed out Thursday,to...
  Well its been a good day today. We went to see the...
  Brady is doing well. He started his new sleeping m...
  Well we started the clonidine for sleep last night...
  Ok as many of you know,Brady had a bad seizure Fri...
  Just wanted to let everyone know,that our little A...
  Well Brady is doing well. Still sleeping a lot,and...
  Brady he is home and doing well. He acts kind of l...
 
Archives
Interactive Seizure Diary

This downloadable Interactive Seizure Diary helps you track your seizure activity and medication routine. You can also record doctor appointments and notes about how you are feeling. Before a doctor appointment, print the information and share it with your physician.

Angelman Forum & Chat

The AS Forum was created in April 2005 and provides an easy way for family members and carers of people with Angelman Syndrome (AS) to exchange information with each other.

Cure Angelman Syndrome

The Foundation for Angelman Syndrome Therapeutics (or FAST) is an organization of families and professionals dedicated to finding a cure for Angelman Syndrome and related disorders through the funding of an aggressive research agenda, education, and advocacy.

Angelman Links
Angelman Blogs
All About Epilepsy