Click Here to Read Brady's Story
Monday, August 16, 2010
Warning: The stories that I am about to present are based on actual events; viewer discretion is advised. . .
This weekend was a wild one in our house. We had pictures Saturday morning and were due at a Birthday party around 2pm that day. I ended up staying home with Brady because he was very tired after pictures and needed a nap.
Anyway, that evening we had a poo-911 in which we had no wetwipes in the house, so we made a quick trip to the store to pick up some. Dad and Peyton went in the store, while I sat in the car with Brady. Naturally, Peyton suckered his dad into buying goodies while at the store.
So we get home, change the diaper, which adds that De La Poo scent to the house. Meanwhile, remember that Peyton picked up goodies at the store. . . So he decides that its time to show me what his goodies are. He lays this foil looking piece of paper on the floor and tells me to "just watch". I'm watching this paper for about 30seconds when I decide to go over and investigate. Peyton drags me back and says "no mom, its going to blow up". He was right, this piece of paper did expand and blow up, right before our eyes. After its done, Peyton then explains that its a "fart bomb"; I am just thrilled to be now adding to the De La Poo scent that already radiates around the room. So I'm thinking, well it wont be so bad, how bad can this thing smell; it was BADDDDDDDD!!! So by now, we have made our way into the kitchen and have started cooking supper. Since the previous scents are so bad, we decide to light a candle, hoping to make the smell go away more quickly. So we place the lit candle on top of the refrigerator, thinking that it would be safe there, since it was out of Brady's reach. Meanwhile, I get out a bag of bread crumbs, which I will be using in my Broccoli Casserole that I am cooking.
Since I didn't want Brady to get the bread crumbs, I placed those on top of the refrigerator as well, then I went about my cooking. In a minute or so, Craig is standing by the sink and starts saying "oh, oh, oh" I'm just looking at him wondering what is going on. I kept asking, "what, what is it, what" and he finally exclaims "fire!" Since I am cooking, I begin looking at the stove-top, at the oven, down the counter-tops, but no fire. I'm still saying "what, where, what are you talking about" when I glance upward and see the fire coming from the top of the refrigerator. Since I am to short to reach, I had to wait for Craig to get water and pour over the flames. Thank goodness it only burned my bread crumbs, a cd, and a couple of papers!
So I begin wiping the brown water from the side of the fridge, while Peyton is standing on the counter, wiping the top of the fridge. We get that mess cleaned up and I go back to cooking. Brady then pours a bag of cheese puffs in the floor, tries with all his might to stick his hands in the boiling water on the stove, and eventually grabs himself a handful of Broccoli Casserole (which has no bread crumbs, because they were burned). I ended up locking the half-door to the boys room and putting them in the room while I finished cooking.
I was exhausted by the time that I fixed plates and sat down at the table for supper, but I had to laugh. Just thinking of the chaos and entertainment that our lives bring, made me smile. "It may be a crazy life, but its my life". . .

posted by angelwings @ 6:43 AM
   3 comments
3 Comments:
  • At 2:17 PM, Blogger theo the thinker said…

    Thank you for making this blog. Im doing a biology assignment where i have to write a journal in the life of someone with angelman syndrome (i chose the disease) and reading your blog ha s helped a lot. I wish your family well and Brayden a long happy life!!!

     
  • At 1:00 PM, Blogger Taryn08 said…

    Angelwings,

    You hav posted in a few blogs about the Cure for Angelman Syndrome. This blog really illustrated how interesting and entertaining your life with your son really is! Considering it would be possible, would consider using the new found cure for AS with your son?

    Taryn08

     
  • At 2:16 AM, Blogger angelwings said…

    Thank you all for following our story for your wonderful replies! I am glad that our little guy's blog has been able to help so many people. You all are the reason why we started this so many years ago. Taryn, as for your question about would we choose a cure if possible, YES in a heartbeat we would choose to cure our son. He is a blessing and although AS is a major part of his life, it is not who he is. Yes he does share many similarities with other individuals who have AS but I see his own personality shine through on a daily basis. I love and accept him for who he is, but I know that if Brady could make his own choice about being cured, he would def choose to be cured. Brady struggles on a daily basis to express his needs and wants and oftentimes we are unable to understand what he is trying so hard to communicate. I know that Brady wants to have a voice, he doesnt want to be frustrated because he cant make us understand something as simple as that he is hungry, thirsty, or hurts. Aside from Brady obviously wanting to communicate, his being able to communicate, could save his life. I have heard of Angels who had things such as apendicitis and nearly lost their lives because they could not express where they were hurting. The other big issue that we and many others face is seizures. Even if this cure does not stop the seizures, if Brady could tell us that he felt like one was coming on, we might be able to save his life. We have had too many close calls in his short 9yrs; it is time that we find a way to be more prepared or to stop the seizures all together. As any parent, we want Brady to live a long healthy life. As long as he is plagued by seizures, he will never be fully healthy. So our hopes and dreams for Brady are no different than any other parent. We want him to not only be happy, but to be able to express himself, live a long life, and to be healthy :) Hope this helps!

     
 
Home        Post        Edit        Post a Comment
 


What is Angelman Syndrome?

                 

About Brady

Read Brady's Story Here   

I am 11yrs old and I have Angelman Syndrome. I may have this syndrome, but I dont let it hold me back. I love life and live it to the fullest every single day. My mom says that our research organization, Foundation for Angelman Syndrome Therapeutics, is working really hard on a treatment or even a cure for me and my friends. I am thankful to have 25 words but I look forward to the day that I can carry on long conversations and talk so much that everybody has to ask me to please be quiet for a few minutes :) Anyway, mom says Im awesome and super funny and I have to agree,lol.

See my complete profile

Home      Post        Edit


  Well Brady its been a busy week in the Fore house ...
  Well its been a while folks! Sorry for all the del...
  Brady Birthday shopping and AS Walk
  Hello! Its been a little while since I posted, so ...
  Brady channel surfing and taking breathing treatment
  Hey guys!!! Just wanted to post a quick update! I'...
  Were back! Its been a little while since we posted...
  Not sure how long it has been since our last post,...
  Okay, just let me apologize in advance, for slacki...
 
Archives
Interactive Seizure Diary

This downloadable Interactive Seizure Diary helps you track your seizure activity and medication routine. You can also record doctor appointments and notes about how you are feeling. Before a doctor appointment, print the information and share it with your physician.

Angelman Forum & Chat

The AS Forum was created in April 2005 and provides an easy way for family members and carers of people with Angelman Syndrome (AS) to exchange information with each other.

Cure Angelman Syndrome

The Foundation for Angelman Syndrome Therapeutics (or FAST) is an organization of families and professionals dedicated to finding a cure for Angelman Syndrome and related disorders through the funding of an aggressive research agenda, education, and advocacy.

Angelman Links
Angelman Blogs
All About Epilepsy