Click Here to Read Brady's Story
Sunday, August 17, 2008
Hey guys! I'm sure many of you have heard about the new Ben Stiller movie called "Tropic Thunder". There has been a lot of controversy over this movie,and rightfully so. They use the word 'retard' throughout the film, 17 to 20 times. This is done without any regard for the dignity of people with intellectual disabilities,but yet they see no problem with the message that they are sending out to individuals, especially our younger generations. They are now selling t-shirts on the net, that say "Don't go Full Retard", a quote from this movie. I personally find this so very offensive and it scares me to death to think about the message that this is sending to our young people. I have a son that is nearly 10 yrs old,and he has been taught that this kind of behavior is unacceptable, but there are so many children that casually throw this word around, as if it is derogatory term. The word retard was never meant to define someone as stupid,but instead means, a slowing down or hindering of progress; a delay. It was simply a means to describe an individual with learning delays. Over the years this term has evolved into a derogatory term, used to insult or hurt others. I hear many young people,even my sons friends using this word to insult their friends, it is thrown around loosely. These children are not being taught any different, and I find that so very sad. We recently had some children here that were using this word to insult each other. These children know Brady and know that he has Angelman Syndrome,but they still love him very much. I sat down at the table with these kids and explained to them that retarded did not mean what they thought it did and explained to them that Brady was considered retarded. Their jaws dropped,they couldn't believe that I called him that,they even said that I was being mean. They honestly thought that this word was nothing more than a word used to insult others,they had no idea the true meaning behind it. By the time it was over, they had a better understanding of what this word meant. But I do find it sad that no one had ever taken 5 minutes to explain this word, since they use it all the time without thinking anything of it. It is our responsibility as adults to correct, not only children but other adults,that are using this word in a derogatory way. It is our responsibility to speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves. For those who think this word is funny, I wonder would they still see the humor if they,their spouse,child,grandchild,best friend,etc,were born disabled or got into an accident and ended up disabled. I do believe that everything is on a wheel,it all comes back around. It could happen to anyone at anytime,we just don't know what tomorrow holds.
As I was saying,the new Ben Stiller movie makes light of individuals with disabilities and something needs to be done. We need to make it known that this behavior is not acceptable and that we have more respect for ourselves and for individuals with disabilities,than to, in any way, help these people profit from this film. So please guys,stand with me,stand with Brady,and stand with everyone else in the world who has a disability,and BOYCOTT this film. If you pay money to see this film,they are winning. Please think of the message that the success of this movie will send out to our children,this is not a message that I want my 10yr old to get. Don't let curiosity get the best of you, this is not a film that we need to be supporting. We are living in a time when disability at an all time high and still rising, so we need to be teaching each other how to be more accepting and tolerable of people with disabilities.
Anyways now that I'm done preaching, I'm heading to bed. Thanks so much for all your support guys!!

posted by angelwings @ 2:22 AM
   1 comments
1 Comments:
  • At 1:03 AM, Blogger Truth said…

    I'm not sure what to even say. I was reading a VERY popular blog the other day and came across a phrase, "meet my brother Mike, the retard." I was offended, but she meant literally. He is like 26 and she jokes with him, but it greatly offended me. She obviously cares greatly about him, but I just don't get the humor in using the derogatory term in an "affectionate" way. So sad.

     
 
Home        Post        Edit        Post a Comment
 


What is Angelman Syndrome?

                 

About Brady

Read Brady's Story Here   

I am 11yrs old and I have Angelman Syndrome. I may have this syndrome, but I dont let it hold me back. I love life and live it to the fullest every single day. My mom says that our research organization, Foundation for Angelman Syndrome Therapeutics, is working really hard on a treatment or even a cure for me and my friends. I am thankful to have 25 words but I look forward to the day that I can carry on long conversations and talk so much that everybody has to ask me to please be quiet for a few minutes :) Anyway, mom says Im awesome and super funny and I have to agree,lol.

See my complete profile

Home      Post        Edit

Hey guys, have you heard that new song, "Time of M...
  Okay guys,its nearly 3am here,and I'm dead tired,s...
  Brady starts school!
  Umbrellas are useless with an Angel!!!! Yeah,its b...
  Just remembered that I hadn't posted an update on ...
  Well tomorrow is the big day. We take Brady at 8am...
  Well Brady's ear has been bleeding on and off sinc...
  One wasnt enough :)
  Well,we got a break last night. Both boys spent th...
  Just wanted to post a quick update and let everyon...
 
Archives
Interactive Seizure Diary

This downloadable Interactive Seizure Diary helps you track your seizure activity and medication routine. You can also record doctor appointments and notes about how you are feeling. Before a doctor appointment, print the information and share it with your physician.

Angelman Forum & Chat

The AS Forum was created in April 2005 and provides an easy way for family members and carers of people with Angelman Syndrome (AS) to exchange information with each other.

Cure Angelman Syndrome

The Foundation for Angelman Syndrome Therapeutics (or FAST) is an organization of families and professionals dedicated to finding a cure for Angelman Syndrome and related disorders through the funding of an aggressive research agenda, education, and advocacy.

Angelman Links
Angelman Blogs
All About Epilepsy