Click Here to Read Brady's Story
Saturday, July 12, 2014
Part 2 of July 11 2011
We went to the hotel to catch a few hours of sleep, as they wouldn't let us stay with him. We were only allowed in during visiting hours and oftentimes our visitation time was taken away because of a crisis with another patient in there. When we left late that night, Brady was out of status but he had gone out and went back in many times before, so we didn't know what we would find in a few hours. When we did return and they let us in, they had already removed his vent tube. Yes, normally this is a happy moment and all is right in the world, but not for our us :(
Brady was struggling to breathe. The nurses and docs were huddled around him, baffled as to what was going on. They mentioned putting the tube back but we shuttered at the thought of that. They thought that maybe I could calm him down and it would help his breathing, we they handed him to me and I sat holding him in a chair.
He continued to struggle for breathes as his little chest seemed to collapse into his back. His skin began to turn gray and lips started losing color. The sheer look of separation in my baby's eyes, will be forever etched into my brain. His eyes were begging his mommy to help him but I was helpless to so anything but rub his head and talk to him. His daddy also took a turn doing just as I did. My eyes met my husbands eyes several times but there was no correspondence between the two of us. We just kept looking at each other, thinking we have come this far and fought this hard, but we are still going to lose our boy anyway.
They were checking blood gases every few minutes and blood gases were getting to a critical level. Finally, Brady totally lost what little breath he had left and his airway just simply closed. He went limp in my arms and I just remember leaping from the chair, tossing him onto the bed, telling the docs to fix him and do it RIGHT now. I told them to put that tube back immediately. Once they got him on oxygen, his breathing did come back but was still shallow and he was obviously still in distress, so they had the ENTRY team come up to scope him. They found growths blocking his airway...growths caused by the tube. They quickly revented him and told me once it was all over, that there was no medical reason why or how that tube was able to go back down his blocked throat...it was GOD! He was taken down for surgery and came back a new kid. This time the docs asked us to stay with Brady while the tube was removed.
After it came out, he coughed a little and then gave us the biggest most beautiful smile I've ever seen in my life :) :) He then signed hungry, bahahahaha! The child hadn't eaten in nearly nine days, so no doubt he was starved. The kitchen made up some grits especially for him and he ate the whole bowl.
We were moved out of the PICU and to a regular room where we spent a few days. They wanted to do one more EEG before we left. I remember telling my husband that my heart just couldn't take it if he was back in status. Our nerves were shot and having to wait for that EEG did not help. It was all fine and we were finally taking Brady home where he belonged.
And here we are three years later without a single seizure since that horrific experience. Life is awesome, God is great! Tonight we celebrated Brady's health and the awesome folks at Santa FE done a huge shout out to him...I will try to post the video later.
Sorry for the long story but I've never fully shared it before, so thought it was about time. Hope everyone has a blessed night/day. Don't forget the cherish every single moment with your love one, tomorrow isn't guaranteed. God Bless!



posted by angelwings @ 2:13 AM
   2 comments
2 Comments:
  • At 10:59 AM, Blogger Phillipa said…

    I feel your pain my boy did not go through that coma but hes seizured uncontrollably and its painful to see the most beautiful human being u know go through so much..my boy has taught me so much and cannot talk or walk...bless yous all i do not believe in god but i know theres something very spiritual and good that look over our babies

     
  • At 11:00 AM, Blogger Phillipa said…

    I feel your pain my boy did not go through that coma but hes seizured uncontrollably and its painful to see the most beautiful human being u know go through so much..my boy has taught me so much and cannot talk or walk...bless yous all i do not believe in god but i know theres something very spiritual and good that look over our babies

     
 
Home        Post        Edit        Post a Comment
 


What is Angelman Syndrome?

                 

About Brady

Read Brady's Story Here   

I am 11yrs old and I have Angelman Syndrome. I may have this syndrome, but I dont let it hold me back. I love life and live it to the fullest every single day. My mom says that our research organization, Foundation for Angelman Syndrome Therapeutics, is working really hard on a treatment or even a cure for me and my friends. I am thankful to have 25 words but I look forward to the day that I can carry on long conversations and talk so much that everybody has to ask me to please be quiet for a few minutes :) Anyway, mom says Im awesome and super funny and I have to agree,lol.

See my complete profile

Home      Post        Edit


  Well we are getting ready for a big week :) Our Ca...
  So today I am cleaning, getting ready for a case m...
  Such powerful messages in these pics.
  Bracelets and cookbooks for FAST
  Hello everyone! Just got a reminder about our bl...
  So just a quick post. Things are going very well h...
 
 
  Brady update
 
Archives
Interactive Seizure Diary

This downloadable Interactive Seizure Diary helps you track your seizure activity and medication routine. You can also record doctor appointments and notes about how you are feeling. Before a doctor appointment, print the information and share it with your physician.

Angelman Forum & Chat

The AS Forum was created in April 2005 and provides an easy way for family members and carers of people with Angelman Syndrome (AS) to exchange information with each other.

Cure Angelman Syndrome

The Foundation for Angelman Syndrome Therapeutics (or FAST) is an organization of families and professionals dedicated to finding a cure for Angelman Syndrome and related disorders through the funding of an aggressive research agenda, education, and advocacy.

Angelman Links
Angelman Blogs
All About Epilepsy